out with the old

























Happy Monday everyone! And Happy 2010! Yes, that's right, I'm officially off hiatus. Finally. I needed a bit of a break from something during this mess called the holidays. But I'm here and happy to be back.

So, I've made a decision about this year and I plan to stick to it (I refuse to classify it as a resolution, because then I think I'm doomed to fail.)

Last year was a tough year for me. Full of stress, sickness, sadness, anger - and I'm done with it. This year, I'm determined to stay happy. No matter what. I'm not going to let the little - or the big - things (especially those out of my control) alter my naturally silly self.

And I think I'm off to a good start.

This weekend was wonderfully packed full of good times. My friend Beth and I started off Saturday by attending the soft-opening of Paradise Springs Winery in Virginia where we met up with my incredibly talented photographer friend Jeff Fried.

The place was amazing. So quaint. And READY. I expected the place to be a work-in-progress but it was nothing of the sort. And every wine of theirs was unique and wonderful, which is unusual - or so I've found. You can read more about our little trip on Beth's blog. The winery was featured today on Urban Daddy, too.

Afterwards we ventured back into DC just in time for a trip to 2Amy's Pizza and then a movie night in with our girls from work. We watched Away We Go (featuring Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski, written by Dave Eggers and Vendela Vida, and directed by Sam Mendes. Can't really go wrong there). And, man, has this movie stuck with me. I actually miss it. I can't believe I'm saying that but I want to watch it again and again and again and again. It's painfully adorable.

Then we closed out the night with a bit of Paradise Springs Cab Sav and some of the first season of Golden Girls. Wow, no words :)

All and all a great day.

Sunday was great, too. My friend Alison is due to have her baby in just a couple weeks. So I spent the day with her and her husband Chris taking photos of her ever-growing tum. She really has a glow about her, one that was not there just a couple weeks back. It really was a beautiful thing to see.

I hope these weekends keep coming. I'm still smiling.

Happy Monday all!




The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes. - William James



{photo by kelseyturner}

5 comments:

January 11, 2010 at 7:41 PM Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! And I agree attitude is everything. Keep smiling :)

January 11, 2010 at 8:06 PM Jessica said...

Golden Girls is amazing! and I agree about resolutions..why waste your time. Its better for one theme for the year, its simplified and doable. Remember though, that happiness is fleeting and JOY is what remains truly inside you through the good and the bad.

Be conscious when bad times hit, to remember what you have and be as grateful as you can be for it. Its hard but takes practice.

Its been great getting to know you through the blogosphere!

January 11, 2010 at 8:24 PM Anna said...

Thanks Sher! I'm going to do my best to keep these smile on my face as long as possible!

Jessica - hahaha Golden Girls is amazing. I hadn't seen the early episodes in awhile and I'm pretty sure my jaw was to the ground for the first 20 mins, before I started laughing my face off.

You are so right about JOY. So important to know the difference. And I definitely have it. I just need to learn how to step back and reallllly realize it when things get rough. This past year sure was a test. But I think I'm starting to figure it all out!!

Great getting to know you too xoxo :)

January 12, 2010 at 8:39 AM Good Girls Studio said...

Wonderful quote! Looks like you are off to a great start! Keep on smiling :)