mama was a rolling stone


Hi everyone! Recently I had the pleasure of talking with Bryna, owner and stylist over at Rolling Stone Vintage. If you're not familiar, Bryna created herself a wonderful little business featuring an extensive collection of women's vintage sourced from all over the world. So, if you're looking to add some pieces of the past to your future wardrobe, this may be the shop for you.

Here's what Bryna had to say about her amazing little creation:

What's the story behind your business? How did you get started? A little background please :)
I was travelling for three years and I had just moved back to Australia. I was looking for a job but I was really uninterested in finding one! I really wanted to do something different and so when I thought about it, selling vintage just seemed natural – I had accumulated a huge mass of vintage in my travels and it was something I had always had on my "list of things to do in life." So I got to work!

I love that each and every piece in your shop is not only quality, but unique. Where do you look for pieces and what are some of your qualifications when choosing items to stock?
That's a very closely guarded secret. I don't know a single vintage-store owner out there who will tell! However, when I am looking, I look for things that are on trend or have a modern appeal about them. I've been offered a lot of vintage wedding dresses and 'grandma' clothes, but that's not what I am after.

Vintage is becoming increasingly popular - what sets your store apart from the rest?
We offer free shipping to all U.S. customers, to start. We also offer returns and a monthly promotion such as $10 off. There are also styling tips for every product, new style guides every month and a "chat with a stylist" service if you are stuck while shopping. Finally, we also have a comprehensive "Guide to Vintage" that offers advice on sizes and measurements for clothes and shoes and tips on cleaning and storing vintage clothes.

What is your favorite piece that you have in stock?

I have three favourites at the moment:

Olivia Vintage Sequin Dress


Sienna Vintage Thigh Boots


In your opinion, what's the ultimate vintage find?
Finding a gorgeous, bohemian-style dress is always good, especially when it is in great condition. I also love, love, love finding a great pair of vintage thigh high boots. And I would love to find a Chanel bag one day, that would be my ultimate find.

If you could live in any decade simply for its clothing, which would you pick?
Probably the 60s or 70s; I would love to live around the hippie era because I just love how out there the true hippies were. I love looking at pictures of Woodstock and other hippie-fied areas like Haight Ashbury, etc. I'm not sure if I could ever be as crazy as some of them, but I would love to travel back there for some great inspiration.

Haight Ashbury Neighborhood in San Francisco

Who is the ultimate fashion icon?
Hmm, I always find this question really hard. When I think of someone who is inspiring, I think Vivienne Westwood.. she broke all the rules, she did what she wanted and she is timeless – she is still going after all these years. Although I would probably not wear a lot of the things she wears, I love elements of every one of her collections. Of course, there are many other fabulous women I could think of as icons, but it's hard to narrow it down.. Coco Chanel, Rosita Missoni, etc.

Who did you enjoy this past New York Fashion Week?
I always love Anna Sui, but I also loved Alexander Wang (far more than his previous collections), Charlotte Ronson, Proenza Schouler, Marc Jacobs and also Marc by Marc Jacobs and I also really loved Malandrino and Rodarte. So many!

Any suggestions for those looking to add vintage pieces to their wardrobes?
I always say that there is something 'vintage' out there for everyone. It doesn't matter what your style is, or even if you don't have a style, there is always a piece out there that you are going to love. My best tip would be not to wear vintage head to toe – you don't want to smell like mothballs or look like you raided an estate sale. You need to mix it up with modern pieces and you'll have a unique look that has a modern feel.


Thanks Bryna!
xoxo

want more?
Store
Twitter
Facebook

Email

&

Bryna's Blog





{pictures from
rollingstonevintage.com}

3 comments:

September 30, 2009 at 1:58 AM Andhari said...

Wow she is goooood!

I'm not all into vintage clothes but when I look at those gorgeous sequin dress and white fur, I instantly have a big crush on them. Free shipping to states huh? Seeing I'm in Indonesia and much closer I hope it's free too :p

September 30, 2009 at 3:37 AM jaassnnaa said...

i love the black dress

October 29, 2009 at 3:27 AM jeff said...

Waow !... Trop cool la nana ! Very beautiful girl ! Les accessoires sont pas mal non plus ! Et toi ! Es-tu plutôt cuir, tissu, jupe ou pantalon ?...

Ciao bella !
Bises,
Jeff