Sabrina Azadi



California-based stylist Sabrina Azadi recently launched her own jewelry line, Freedom by Sabrina Azadi. Each necklace is handmade by Sabrina herself, using only the finest quality Austrian crystals and leather. The collection is rustic yet luxurious - making for unique accessories, perfect for all the year round.

I had a little chat with Sabrina this week. Here's what she had to say about her emerging little business:

What sparked your interest in jewelry design? And how long have you been making your own?
My interest was purely practical. I’m allergic to the nickel metal that most costume jewelry is made of, which meant I couldn’t wear a lot of pieces I loved, so I started experimenting and making my own with leather and silk. I remember I was a teenager when I was making necklaces and anklets with leather and shells - perfect for a beach holiday.

What drove you to develop this craft into a business?
It was a natural step for me.

Can you tell us a little about your line and why you use crystals as your centerpiece?
I feel powerful wearing crystals; it’s as if they are somehow magical. I'm mesmerized by them. I like the sparkle of the crystals against the casual look of raw leather. It's unexpected.

What does "Freedom" mean for your brand?
My last name "Azadi" means freedom in Farsi. Freedom is an important mantra for me: freedom to be who you want and wear what you want.

What inspires you in your jewelry-making?
My inspiration for this collection came from crystal doorknobs :) Do you have any other artistic outlets? I’m a fashion columnist and stylist, so I guess they’re considered artistic outlets, too. I’m happiest when I’m being creative.

Who would you love to see wear your stuff?
Anyone that wears it with confidence.

What's your must-have, can't-leave-the-house-without-it, accessory?
My wedding ring.

Can we shop your jewels online?
They will be available for purchase online in September!

Thanks Sabrina for chatting with us!



Be sure to check out her site - and, definitely stop by in September for a little shopping ;)

My favorite piece is Mirror Mirror Brown, what's yours?




{images via sabrinaazadi.com. left: polly natural; right: polly doudi}

10 comments:

July 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM Andhari said...

oooh I so appreciate everything embedded with crystals :) Those necklaces are lovely!

July 28, 2009 at 11:50 AM K @ Blog Goggles said...

These are lovely! Can't wait for her store :)

July 28, 2009 at 1:54 PM thischicksgotstyle said...

That looks really good!!

July 28, 2009 at 2:42 PM diane said...

This is a good interview, I agree with her about the wedding band.
Took a scroll down your blog, and I love the disposable memory project. That is such a cool idea.

July 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM drollgirl said...

bah!!!!! i love these!!! they are totally ME!!! i hope i can make them mine in september when the online shop is available!!! must not forget this!!!

July 28, 2009 at 4:37 PM Comella said...

Interesant blog.

July 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM Lilee said...

cool necklaces!

July 28, 2009 at 7:10 PM JennyMac said...

Oh, those are pretty.

July 29, 2009 at 12:13 AM Delectable Swank said...

Those are beautiful necklaces! I love the crystals mixed with leather.